Some call Montauk "The End" and some call it "The
Beginning". Either way, its beauty becomes apparent as you leave
Amagansett and head down the highway. After what we call "the
stretch", Montauk begins to show you why it is different from
the rest of Long Island. The landscape starts to become much more
scenic, particularly at the elevated spots, which are scattered throughout
the area. That's where you'll get your first glimpse of the ocean
and our beaches.
A Beautiful Montauk Sunset
During the summer and fall months, those beaches will be filled with
surfers, sun bathers, swimmers, surf fishermen, spear fishermen and
walkers. These are all beautiful times in the warm summer air. However,
Montauk's season really begins well before the summer starts...just
before the official start of Spring.
Montauk St. Patricks day Parade March
19, 2006 12:30 pm
The end of March holds an amazing event in Montauk, the annual St.
Patrick's Day Parade (or St. Patty's Day Parade, whichever you choose).
This parade is held the weekend AFTER the New York City parade. Now,
you might think this is some small town event, but I'm here let you
know...it definately, is not. Some estimate more that 50,000 people
show up for this event. In other words, the town increases in size
more than 10 fold! The party usually starts on the Friday before the
parade with the Grand Marshal's Luncheon or "roasting",
followed by the fund raising luncheon the next day. The parade usually
starts at 1pm on the Sunday.
Things slow down a little after the parade, for the next month. But
the town is starting to buzz about the summer and it's still an exciting
time. Of course the late spring, summer and fall hold many great things
to do in Montauk.
Here's a list:
- Visit the Montauk Point Lighthouse - website
- Take a sunset cruise on a beautiful
- Participate or watch the sharks come in one of our many fishing
- The blessing of the fleet ceremony and celebration
- The Montauk Triathlon
- Fourth of July fireworks - amazing over the water!
- Attend a concert outside on the green
- Go surfing
- Surf Fishing (spring and fall are best)
- Go horseback
- Play miniature golf
- Spend the day at the beach
- Charter a boat to block island for the day (a great getaway)
- or, do like Captain Kevin says...and go